Life of a Probashi Bengali


 Hello everyone!

Welcome back to month 26 of #faltufriday!

For most of you who don't know me, I am a 'Probashi Bengali', which literally means a Bengali living outside of Bengal in India.

I grew up spending my initial years all over the world and finally settled down in India when I turned four.
Over the years of growing up, I've experienced a lot of enjoyable moments and had various instances a lot of my fellow probashi Bengali's might relate to, so I figured I'd share a few with you guys :)

Without further ado, let's get to a non-stereotypical life of a probashi! 

  • Firstly, Boroline.
    Boroline is Bengali Bae.
    Go anywhere in the world, ask any Bengali for a boroline, you can count on them to have one in their bag. Always.
  • Bengali's are not always about 'laal shaada'(Red and White) saari's, they're also about 'laal checked' gamchas(Towel). You will 100% find this in every probashi Bengali household.
  • The endless struggle of choosing between jhal muri and bhelpuri is real.
  • Not having any holidays during Durga Pujo😭😭
  • No house is complete without having Mukhshuddhi(After mint)
  • Bongoporichay and Ponjika must have books
  • KC Paul umbrella's and the endless love for handlooms and handicrafts (Shanti Niketan bags)
  • And last but not least, celebrating Rabindra Jayanti and Poila Boishak with the same pomp and show as Durga Pujo
These were just a few imperative needs of a probashi bengali's life. Let me know in the comments if you're one and how many have you stricken off of this list. Don't forget to share and subscribe for more and be sure to check out my post on Durga Pujo: Here!

Signing off,
Kuhu :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Constant Comparison Circle

The part about College Applications NO ONE wants to talk about.

Consistency and the 4 Year Special

Next Stop: Graduation. Ft. Senioritis.