Social Media Is Bad For Your Mental Health!

 Hi everyone!

Welcome backk!!

Today's post is one on which I've been meaning to write on for a really long time and finally got the opportunity to. 

 Social Media Is Bad For Your Mental Health

Perhaps something which we have all heard at some time but blissfully chosen to ignore (I did too eep :p)

Until recently, when I deactivated most of my social media due to my exams did I realise the harmful impacts of social media in our lives. 

I cannot comprehend into words how relieved I felt those 4 weeks I was away from the media. 

Most of us don't understand something until we actually go through it. The amount of FOMO and drama that it feeds you with is unimaginable. 

Social Media  fuels the need to present yourself in a particular manner, follow a particular regime, and overall be this "perfect person". It takes a terrible toll on your mental health, often leading to various repercussions.

A few of which include:

  • HORRIBLE amounts of anxiousness
  • Cyberbullying is at its peak
  • Scrolling through social media inherently forces you to compare yourself and your own life to what you see on your screen. Though you may be on the up side of the comparison, the act of comparing yourself to someone else can still negatively affect your mental health.
  • Its addictive sense of nature lures its users to spending obnoxious amounts of time on it, leading to adverse effects on their Mental Health.  
Ab pessimistic outlook ka hogaya, let me take you through some positives of having a "social media cleanse".  
- It leaves you refreshed and happy. Honestly can't describe the kind of inner peace you feel once you're away from the toxicity and FOMO of the net.
- Helps you get your sleep cycle back on track: Throughout the course of my board exams, the only reason why I used to be able to sleep early and wake up early was because I put myself in the habit of it weeks before by taking a break from the media. 
- It helps you to reprioritize more personal forms of interaction: Though the original purpose for the development of social media was to connect people, it has evolved much more than that idea and has spiraled into much worse leading to isolation from the ones around you, physically. Taking a time off can help you reconnect with your family and friends.
- Lastly, it helps you get back on track. Everything wise. 

Give it a try and let me know in the comments if it worked for you!
I know a lot of you might think this post was cliché and some might also call hypocritic, but trust me when I say, it helps. Its not going to happen overnight, it's gonna take patience and time; it's okay to log back often.

Overall, social media has had a huge impact on our lives. Whether it’s making us feel body conscious or helping us feel connected, there’s no denying that social media’s effects are too broad and far-reaching to be categorized as purely negative or positive. Rather than taking solely one extreme or the other into account, using social media to express our talents and make connections while spending some time in the real world will be the best way to enjoy all it has to offer. 
We can all agree that we can't live without social media, and yes, it has many perks. No one expects you to be completely away from the world. 

It's simply important to recognise that Social Media isn't everything. 

That was it for today's post! Hope y'all enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it :)
Stay tuned for next week's post and don't forget to share and follow for more!

Signing off,
Kuhu :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Constant Comparison Circle

The part about College Applications NO ONE wants to talk about.

Consistency and the 4 Year Special

Next Stop: Graduation. Ft. Senioritis.