Importance of "Mental Health Days"

 Hey everyone!

Welcome back!!

In all honesty, I was not well acquainted with the term "Mental Health Days" until I saw it in a TV show.
This led me to thinking if something like this actually exists, and if so, how can it benefit us?

So, I did my research, started implementing it in my personal life and wanted to share with you the importance of the same :)

Without further ado, let's get to it!

Starting off with the obvious,

What is a "Mental Health Day"

If your first thought was something related to taking a break, you would be correct.

A Mental Health Day is one where you absolutely cut off from your rat race life and take a step back to rejuvenate yourself.
It’s a day to relax, decompress and take care of yourself overall.

For example, if you've just finished with your exams and sacrificed on your sleep schedule a lot, its regaining that. If you've burnt yourself out with various stressors, its taking a pause from it. 

It's taking time out to relax, to let your body recover and work better.

Though you may not be able to eliminate all of your ongoing stressors in a day,  it will aid in making a significant reduction in a few areas, which may, in turn, create a lasting impact on your stress levels by drastically reducing it.

My "Mental Health Days"

I  completed my 10th grade a few months ago, and if you're from an Indian education background, chances are you're well aware of how stressful the entire year can become.
There were days where I couldn't drag myself due to weeks of burn out and fatigue.

Those were the days that my parents told me that I should call it a day and close my books.
There were a few days where they were aware that I had been burnt out and let me sleep till late to recover from the same.
Most of the time, this would really help me and enhanced my performance in future classes and exams. 

For me, a typical mental health day would look something like waking up at 12 in the afternoon, lazing around, watching television, coding for a bit and catching up on my writing, spending time with my family or calling my best friend.

Importance "Mental Health Days"


I follow a simple philosophy:

If you're sick, you take a break, right? You take ample rest and help your body recover.
The same goes with your mental heath. 
If you're burnt out, it's not going be useful for anyone.
It'll impact your quality of work and chances are, also affect your peers and family.

Keep in mind, not everyday can be a Mental Health Day. You can't use it as an excuse for procrastination and slacking on your work as it completely undermines the very purpose of it.

Take one when you can actually afford it and make the best use of it. 

Everyone has a different and unique burnout cycle. Only you can determine when you need one.


Fun Fact: 10th October is declared as 'World Mental Health Day!'
Check out my post on burn out and self-care to know more about these and how to recover from them here:

Try it out a couple of times and let me know in the comments if it worked for you! 
Don't forget to share and subscribe for more content, every friday!

Signing off,
Kuhu :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting High School

Teacher Cyber-bullying

(famous) Animated films x Life Lessons

The "Therapist Friend"